ROLE AS A DOULA
My role is to help women have satisfying births as they define it. I draw on my knowledge and experience to provide physical, emotional, and informational support to women and their spouses.
I work with women who are planning home births or hospital births with a midwife or obstetrician. I work for women, not for their caregiver or hospitals. It is very important that women and their spouses are comfortable with me and my role in their birth.
LABOUR SUPPORT INCLUDES…
- Breathing Techniques
- Comfort Measures, Hot/Cold Packs, Position Changes
- Emotional Support
- Guided Relaxation
- Information about what is happening
- Practical help (drinks & food and taking photos)
- Relaxation Techniques
- Support and Breaks for Father/Partner
- Breastfeeding assistance if desired
Prenatal meetings allow women to explore in advance questions and concerns they have about their birth and are better prepared for the labour and delivery. Topics discussed include;
- Management of pain, fatigue, stress, and difficult situations
- Comfort Measures (inform and demonstrate)
- Developing a Birth Plan
- Hopes and Fears regarding birth
- Information (hospital procedures/preferences, etc.)
- Questions and Concerns about pregnancy and labour
- My Role as Your Doula
ON CALL, LABOUR, and POSTPARTUM VISIT
Support by phone and email begins on the day of hire through to after the baby is born. On-call begins 2 weeks before your due date. Labour support begins when requested on the day of birth and is continuous until 2 hours after your baby is born. One postpartum visit is scheduled for 2 weeks after your baby is born to discuss the birth experience and any concerns.
I provide Doula Services in Arthur, Elora, Fergus, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Palmerston.
Birth Doula Packages are available at a flat rate. To arrange a consultation, or if you have any questions please contact me.